Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Liberal my ass!

I was out of the country last week when my home town newspaper came out with its endorsement for the POTUS. For a little background, the Houston Chronicle is a crappy little rag of a newspaper, with almost no real news. Actually, most parts of the paper are not bad, except the NEWS department. I have a good friend in a relatively high profile job there, so I can't be too critical.

However, for the past 4 years at least (potentially much longer) I have heard my Republican friends and aquaintances whine incessantly about how liberal the Houston Chronicle is. These are people who think Fox News sits in the the middle of the political spectrum. Anytime there would be an article or editorial published in the newspaper critical in the slightest bit of anything Republican, these people would go off on tirades complaining of the left leaning Houston Chronicle.

Well on October 24th the Chronicle showed its stripes, and they are, for the most part, yellow. They actually came out and endorsed the Dumbass himself. Jeebus H. Criminy!

I have to admit, I thought the Chronicle had some sanity in its editorial board. They were early in their criticism of the the push to war in Iraq. They have been consistent in many of their criticisms of the Bush Administration. And their loathing of Tom Delay has been unwavering.

However, in the end, I think they hedged their bets. As the referees of political fights in Houston, they have been worked over so long by the Republicans that they had to come out and show, by God, that the weren't liberal. Moreover, they are a Texas newspaper, and GW is our boy, good or bad.

All I can say to the Chronicle editorial board is shame on you, shame on you!

|