Friday, November 11, 2005

Partisanship

This post is not as timely as I would like it to have been. I should have posted it on Wednesday after the elections. I guess better late than never.

When I was growing up I was constantly counciled by my parents and teachers to vote “for the best candidate” regardless of their party. For years I did this, and it made sense back in the 70’s and 80’s. Usually I would vote Democratic, but occasionally the Republican made more sense and was better qualified than the Democrat, and I would vote for the Republican. This was especially true for races on the bottom half of the voting ballot – judicial races, county clerk, school board, etc.

However, this practice, that made sense in 1975, does not work any longer. The Republicans have changed the rules. They have put party on a pedestal higher than everything else. They have put the Republican party ahead of their country, their state, their locality, and their school. The demand party fealty above personal ethics and morality.

No race is non-partisan to them - city council, judicial races, school board etc. Their strategy has been to capture the reins of power from the bottom up. They have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

That is why I can’t understand or abide New York City re-electing Michael Bloomberg as mayor. Here is a true Democratic stronghold and they elect a Republican mayor. This is a mayor who openly supports the Bush Adminstration. This is a mayor who invited the RNC to have their convention in this Democratic bastion and did everything he could to suppress government guaranteed free speech against the Administration and the Republican party. I say better to have a shitty mayor for a short period of time than to have to suffer this Rupugnicant Oligarchy for decades.

Democrats must vow not to vote for ANY Republicans. Do I agree with John McCain, Cristie Todd Whitman, Brent Scowcroft, and other thoughtful moderate Republicans? Yes, but as long as they support Bush, DeLay, Cheney, Frist, etc., then they do not deserve the vote of one Democrat.

The Democrats did not make up the rules to this game. The Republicans did. They made everything partisan. Many Democrats still do not understand that the political rules have changed. Well they have, and here is your shot across the bow.

|